Apple Harvest Road Race
Save The Date For 2014 Races/Walk October 5th 8:30am Registration begins in June
Southington's hometown race now in our 35th year! Choose from four events: 5 mile race, 5 K race, 2 mile walk, a whole bunch of Little Fritter fun runs. A terrific, 'feel good' atmosphere that's guaranteed to boost your spirits! We encourage folks to stay after the race and enjoy the town's Apple Harvest Festival. There's something for everyone!
IMPORTANT T-SHIRT INFO
- Everyone who pre-registers before September 25th is guaranteed a t-shirt.
- Participants also have option of upgrading their t-shirt to Sport-Tek® Competitor™ Tee. for an additional $5 for short sleeve or $8 for long sleeve
What time does the race start and finish?
- The 5 Mile, 5 K and 2 Mile Walk all begin at 8:30 a.m.
- The Little Fritter Fun Runs will begin after most of our 5 Mile participants are finished, at approximately 9:30 a.m.
Where do the races begin and what’s the course?
- The 5 Mile and 5 K Races begin up top Columbus Blvd. (Right next to Bonterro Italian Bistro)
- Please go to our Race Webpage to get course description.
- The 2 Mile Walk begins out in front of the Y. Meet by the huge pine tree.
- The Little Fritter Fun Runs begin on North Main Street by the Town Green. Children and parents should meet at the Town Green Gazebo
Where and when can I pick up my race number?
- Pre race pick-up will be held at the YMCA on Friday, October 3rd (8 a.m. to 6 p.m.) and Saturday, October 4th from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- You may also pick up you number on Race morning up until 7:45 a.m. at the YMCA
- New improved feature for Bib number pick up. Pre-registered participants will look up their name on sheets displayed to find out their race bib number. They will then go to table designated with those race numbers
Where can I park for the race?
- While there are parking spots around the YMCA, please note that they fill fast. There are two available lots (at the Municipal Center and Della Vecchia Funeral Home) located about a ¼ mile north on RT 10 from the YMCA
- Please arrive early to make sure you secure a parking space
Are the streets on the course open for traffic?
- For the start of the race, Berlin Avenue will be shut down to traffic after that some of the roads may have cars on them.
- Yes – runners are encouraged to run on left side of street, except for final stretch down Berlin Avenue (we’ll have cones set up).
- We have Southington police managing some of the busier areas on the course.
- We have volunteers at road intersections to help out.
- For two mile walk, participants will be on either sidewalks or linear trail
- For Little Fritter Fun Runs, children will run on streets that are closed down for traffic.
Is there water on the course?
- For 5 Mile Race, there are two water areas.
- Between miles 2 and 3
- Close to mile 4
- For 5K Race, there will be one water area
- Close to mile 2
- For 2 Mile Walk
- Near the 1 mile mark
- There will also be water near the finish line
Can I run with my dog?
- Sorry, no. For your safety and the safety of other runners, we ask that you not run with your dog (with the exception of service dogs)
Can I run with a stroller?
- Yes. However for the safety of all concerned, we ask that you start in the back of the pack.
- You only need a race number for yourself, not your child
Can I run the race with music?
- Yes, although for your safety and those around you, please be aware of your surroundings. Also, as mentioned in course description, there is vehicle traffic on the course.
Will there be medical services available?
- Yes. The Apple Harvest Festival organizers make sure there is medical support for all events including the road races.
Will the race be cancelled in the event of inclement weather or extreme conditions?
- We plan to run rain or shine (and hopefully no snow) The race committee in coordination with the Southington Police department, will determine if weather poses safety concerns to runners, volunteers and spectators (e.g., lightning storm) If time permits, cancellations and or delays will be communicated via e-mail and/or posted on the race website.
Where can I find race results?
- Platt Timing system will have result posted later in the day Sunday for the 5 Mile and 5 K Races. Go to www.plattsys.com
- The YMCA will have results posted early the following week on our race webpage
- Results are not done for 2 Mile Walk or Little Fritter Fun Runs
I ran in previous years, can I find out how I did?
If I place, do I get an award?
- Yes, trophies for 5 Mile Race and 5 K Race will be given out after the completion of the Little Fritter Fun Runs.
- There are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies for male and females. For specific age categories, please check our info on our Webpage
- Those unable to stay for awards will be given a phone call to pick the trophy at the YMCA
Can I get copies of pictures being taken?
- John Atashian will be taking pictures for the Apple Harvest Festival including the Road Races. You can view and order pictures from his website: http://viewphotos.smugmug.com/
Are refreshments given out?
- Yes for runners – thanks to our generous sponsors, there are plenty of post race refreshments.
Are YMCA facilities available?
- Race participants may use men and women’s locker rooms. Children may not go into the adults locker rooms.
- Race participants would need to bring their own locks for lockers
- There are several bathrooms within the Y facilities for use
Past Race Results
|2013-5 mile||2013-5K||2012-5 mile||2012-5K||2011-5 mile||2011-5K||2010-5 mile||2010-5K||2009-5 mile||2009-2 mile|
|2008-5 mile||2007-5 mile||2006-5 mile||2005-5 mile||2004-5 mile||2003-5 mile||2002-5 mile||2001-5 mile||2000-5 mile||1998-5 mile|
|5 Mile Race|